§Trade at Louisbourg during 1734 is down due "to the rumours of war, the famine, and to sickness."
§English schooners, including the Jane Elizabeth, are stopped at Scattary by a French vessel, out of St. Malo, and they and their cargoes are confiscated with governmental approval.
§April 1st: Lighthouse at Louisbourg is lit.
§Louisbourg (See town plan) is now a substantial base of operations with building after building, so to house and accommodate Military Officers, Civil Officers and Civilians; all surrounded with impressive stone fortifications, the like of which can not be found in all of North America. In comparison both Canso and Annapolis Royal are hovels.
§In 1734 English forces are located in two places on the peninsula of Nova Scotia the number of Englishmen are limited to 200 at Annapolis Royal; at Canso, 160.
§April, 1734: Annapolis Royal: Part of the Governor's garden is given over for the enjoyment of the officers and becomes known as the Bowling Green, "a place of Recreation for the Gentlemen and their successors ... for ever.
§March, 1734: Prices at Annapolis Royal: 50 (pence) for a bushel of wheat, 18 for a hen, 5 for either a pullet or a partridge.
§April 7th, 1734: Armstrong orders Mitchell to continue his survey work and to survey the lands which encompass the Bay of Fundy.
§July 6th, 1734 (Saturday): From the Minutes of Council at Annapolis Royal: "... the ffrench at Cape Breton seem'd more Shey than formerly, Which may give Suspicion of their Designes in Case of a War ..."
§August 6th, 1734 (Tuesday): Annapolis Royal: Jean Picot is to be "Duck'd" for "Malicious Scandle."
§September, 1734: The first mining company in Nova Scotia is set up with "the gentlemen of the Council Nominated proprietors of Mines in Consideration of their many years services." These together with others (the discovers, merchants, Mitchell and a captain of a ship) - 36 in all - were to receive shares.
§1734, Aug. 3rd; In a despatch to the Lords of Trade the English governor at Annapolis Royal recommends the building of "two or three forts in proper places" with the addition of 200 to 300 men to garrison them. As for the Acadians, we see nothing but contempt: "... a pest, and incumbrance than of an advantage to the Country, being a proud, lazy, obstinate and untractable people, unskillful in the methods of Agriculture."
§Alexander Pope's (1688-1744) "Essay on Man" makes its appearance in 1734.
§"The Sr. Bryne, an Irish priest, being unable to live among the Indians or to learn their language, has returned to France and M. de St. Vincent is now the only missionary among the Indians of Ile Royale."
§August, 1735: Abbé Maillard arrives at Louisbourg.
§January, 1735: Annapolis Royal: The French have "risen their Wood to a very extravagant price."
§The Brigt. Baltimore, bound from Dublin to Annapolis Maryland with 18 people aboard, including: her captain, Richard White; and her owner with his wife, Andrew and Susanna Buckler; being off course, "fell in with the Tusketts" (the Tusket Islands, Yarmouth County). The ship wintered in one of the harbours near by, but apparently every one died except for Susanna Buckler who made her way, eventually, to Annapolis Royal. Armstrong is suspicious. He believes that vessel was carrying 50 or 60 "convicts," and, the captain and owner having difficulty, slaughtered them while at sea.
§Louis XV (1715-74) donates three bells to be used at the Royal Chapel of St. Louis in the citadel building at Louisbourg. On the 31st of March, 1735, they are installed and baptized ("St. Louis," "St. Antoine-Marie," and "St. John") at the parish church.
[Backward In Time (1730-32)]
[Forward In Time (1736-38)]