Louisbourg: A despatch to Verrier, the Resident Chief Engineer at Louisbourg, from the President of the Navy Board, dated February 24th, 1728: While generally satisfied with progress, the President is "impatient to hear that the Royal Battery and that of l'Islet" have not come along as was expected and this because the workmen were employed at the "half bastion Dauphin." This dissatisfaction likely due because the local administrators were not following the policy that construction should proceed on the defense works first, residence building to come second. Also the board has examined "the plan of the beacon to be set up on a hill where the fishermen had formerly planted a cross; but as the place cannot be reached by the scows carrying the coal required to keep up the fire, is of the opinion that it would be better, for that purpose, to raise the clock tower on the main building of the barracks, so as to set the beacon thereon, if the foundations are sufficiently solid to support that additional weight."
Louisbourg: In a despatch to France reference is made to work being carried on the wharf at the careening-dock cove. Also hopes are expressed that the Battery at Ile de l'Entrée will be finished this year. Approval is granted to call the town gate "Porte Dauphine." The Royal Battery is now fit to accommodate soldiers, however it is intended to extend it another 30 to 40 feet. The clock tower has been completed. Louisbourg is now "well protected on the side of the sea, but it must be equally so on the land side."
St Ovide is directed not to increase the number of soldiers in the outlying areas [for example, Ile St. Jean (Prince Edward Isalnd) and Niganiche (Ingonish)] without permission, this on account of the expense.
Boularderie permitted to occupy the necessary ground and beach at Niganiche, provided they have 100 fishers there." (See map.)
June, 1729: Governor Philipps arrives at Canso from England: "At Canso in June, 1729, he [Philipps] found 250 vessels and between 1500 and 2000 men employed in catching and curing fish ..."
November 20th, 1729: The fishing for the season being about over at Canso, Philipps (Armstrong's boss) "after a difficult voyage," reaches Annapolis Royal. Armstrong, not wanting to have much to do with Philipps may have taken his leave to return to England at this time.
Fall of 1729: Philipps approves of Abbé Bréslay taking up his position as the parish priest, and, in the resulting enthusiasm he is successful in securing an "unconditional" oath of allegiance. So, it was, that in this year, 1729, that the Acadians had first given their "unconditional" oath; however, as the years unfolded and up to that fateful year of 1755 when most all of the Acadians were deported, it was argued by the leaders of the Acadian community that Phillips did not receive an "unconditional" oath in that they were induced to sign such an oath on the oral representation that they would never be called on to bear arms against the French nation.
23rd December, 1729: Oath Petition. About 400 Acadians signed up, of which 170 were from Annapolis Royal and 220 from along the Annapolis River.
[Backward In Time (1724-26)]
[Forward In Time (1730-32)]